Healthy Brown Rice


I was enjoying my usual rut of being a mall rat at Alabang Town Center when I pass the food court for a grub. I couldn't figure out what to eat because all the fast foods seem bland to me because I always eat their and the other stalls seem to serve a regular fare where you could eat the meals even at your office cafeteria.
Then this stall caught my attention. The exact catchy phrase is they serve only healthy stuff. No sodium, no cholesterol, good for diabetics, heart healthy, and all those hala baloo claims that they are the ultimate whatchamacallit stall for the vegetarians and health freaks alike. I look at the menu immediately to see what nonesense are they serving because for them to serve something like that it must be tasteless, because most tasty food that I know is laden with fat, salt, and sugar and no way they could be yummy.

What I saw is a menu of grilled meat and everything served with brown rice on the side. Of course its a given that grilled is healthy but what rouse my curiosity is the brown rice. It doesnt look so inviting at the picture. But for health's sake I ordered, since I can count already two hips at my waist. I ordered the chicken with the brown rice. I recall my trainor at the office saying that he lost all his tummy because he consumed only whole grain carbs and brown rice every meal. The brown rice help him a lot to have good bowel movement because of the high fiber content, thus preventing waste becoming accumulated on your large intestine.
I've read from a magazines also that because of the high mineral content of brown rice like manganese and selenium it is also good for you asthma & heart disease. It has more B vitamins than white rice because it gets to retain more of its husk which contains most of the nutrients. I was about to worship the grain until I started eating. Brown rice is a bit rancid and gritty when you munch it. I cant figure out whats wrong exactly but its so bland that although the grilled chicken paired with it is tasty im not encourage to have a second cup of rice. Its filling but Im not satisfied with what I eat. Maybe I have to develop an acquired taste consuming it.
A chef friend of mine recommended his cook book on how to serve brown rice and enjoy it. In my future blogs I will feature this recipe's so we could enjoy the benefits of brown rice so we could enjoy eating it on a regular basis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment